Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

When does my probation start?

Your probation term begins the day that you accept your plea agreement.

How long do I have to complete my conditions?

Your Probation/Pretrial Officer will instruct you on the length of your probation sentence and the key dates throughout your supervision to ensure successful completion.

If I don’t complete all court ordered conditions by the specified completion date can my probation term be extended?

Possibly; however, your Probation/Pretrial Officer will have to submit a Violation of Probation to request an extension through the courts.

Can I transfer my probation to another county or state?

The Division does not transfer cases to another county. Defendants must discuss reporting requirements in advance of moving. Defendants who relocate more than 50 miles outside of Leon County will be placed on mail-in supervision. Defendants CANNOT relocate outside the state of Florida without discussing with their Probation/Pretrial Officer in advance. The Division DOES NOT accept transfers from other counties; however, we will assist clients in identifying comparable programs to complete conditions ordered by their respective jurisdiction.

Are probation fees included in the court costs, fines, and/or fees?

No. Probation supervision fees are not included in court costs, fines, and/or fees. You should contact the Leon County Clerk of Court at 850-577-4100 to discuss court costs, fines, or fees.

What forms of payment are accepted?

Our office accepts cash, cashier’s check, money orders, debit card, or credit cards. If paying with cash, please bring the exact amount as we are unable to provide change; however, any additional monies can be applied to any future or outstanding probation related fee(s). We DO NOT accept personal checks. Money orders should be made payable to Leon County.

Who do I pay restitution to?

Our office collects restitution payments. As required by Florida Statute, we collect a $3.50 fee for the Clerk of Court to process the payment and send it to the victim via certified mail. You should add the $3.50 fee to any required restitution payment. The payment can be combined with any other probation related fee. Money orders should be made payable to Leon County.

What is the difference between reporting and non-reporting (administrative) probation?

Unless specifically ordered by the courts, clients must report to see their Probation/Pretrial Offcier for each scheduled appointment. Upon completion of all court ordered conditions, a client may be placed on Non-Reporting or Administrative Probation which will allow them to report monthly via mail. Additionally, the court may order a client to be placed on Non-Reporting or Administrative Probation for the duration of their sentence. Your Probation/Pretrial Officer will instruct you accordingly. Regardless of your supervision types, clients are required to pay the $55 monthly supervision fee.

What happens if a Violation of Probation is filed in my case?

If your Probation/Pretrial Officer files an affidavit alleging you violated your court ordered conditions, the courts may issue a warrant for your arrest and a Notice to Appear for a future court date. If a warrant is issued, you may be arrested by law enforcement and held in custody until you go before a judge. You are strongly encouraged to complete all court ordered conditions as soon as possible and provide necessary documentation to your Probation/Pretrial Officer so a Notice of Compliance can be filed terminating probation.

If I am unable to reach my Probation/Pretrial Officer, who can I contact?

You may contact the Intervention and Detention Alternatives Office and request assistance from any team member.

Where can I go to take my alcohol and/or urinalysis (drug) tests and what are the hours of operation?

The Drug and Alcohol Testing Division administers both alcohol and urinalysis (drug) tests between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 501 Appleyard Dr.

Alcohol tests are available during non-business hours as follows: 

  • Intervention and Detention Alternatives main office from 7-8 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Leon County Detention Facility main entrance from 1-5 p.m. on weekends and all County-observed holidays.

Please note, only cash payments are excepted at the Leon County Detention Facility.

Can I travel while on probation?

Yes, you must contact your Probation/Pretrial Officer PRIOR to leaving Leon County as there is information they will need in advance of your scheduled travel.

Featured Video

2023 Annual Report Video 4:12
Back To Top