Department of Development Support
and Environmental Management

Environmental Services - Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I know if the home I want to purchase (or build) is in a flood zone?
    Several tools are available to assist citizens in assessing their personal flood risk, or the flood risks associated with a property. Visit Leon County’s Flood Protection webpage for information on flood risks and how to protect yourself and your property. However, within Leon County, many flood hazard areas are unmapped and properties may also be affected by localized flooding or larger flooding events. Environmental Services staff can provide information on additional known flood risks on a property.  For additional flood hazard information, contact the Environmental Service Advisor at 606-1300.
  • Can I cut down trees on my property?
    o   In some cases, trees on developed lots may be removed without a permit. However, there are a number of factors that determine if a permit is needed, as well as how many trees may be removed. Some of these site-specific factors include the Canopy Road Protection Zones, wetlands, floodplains, lake Special Development Zones, areas of significant or severe slope, and other conservation and preservation areas. In addition, the zoning of the property dictates the level of tree removal allowed. Trees that are documented by a Certified Arborist to be a safety hazard maybe removed without a permit. Please contact the Environmental Service Advisor at 606-1300 with your specific tree removal questions.
  • What can I do to stop water running through my yard when it rains?
    There are many site improvements property owners can make to improve drainage issues such as berms or swales; however, sometimes these improvements have unintended negative effects on neighboring properties. In most cases, an environmental permit is required for drainage improvements, so staff may assess potential adverse impacts to downstream properties. To discuss proposed drainage improvements on a property, as well as specific permitting requirements, contact the Environmental Service Advisor at 606-1300.
  • Where can I find information on Florida's native plants?
    Information on Florida's native plants may be found at the following links:
  • Do I need a permit to build a fish pond on my property?
    An Environmental Management Permit is required to construct a pond. During the review process, staff will verify the pond will be located outside of any environmentally sensitive areas, including, but not limited to, wetlands, waterbodies, watercourses, and floodplains. Please contact the Environmental Service Advisor at 606-1300 to discussed your proposed project and specific permitting requirements.

Contact Us

Development Support and Environmental Management
435 N. Macomb Street, 2nd Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301

Tel: +1 850 606 1300
Fax: +1 850 606 1301