Skip Navigation

EIP Notice: Post-Landfall Resources and Information... More »

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a building permit?

Residents may apply for a building permit here.

What type of construction can be done by the homeowner?

Residential projects with a cost of $25,000 or less can be done by the homeowner. A homeowner is allowed to perform all construction activities related to the project (electrical, plumbing, mechanical, etc.) but must complete and submit an Owner/Builder Exemption Disclosure form.

How can I file a code complaint?

Complaints may be filed with the Leon County Department of Development Support and Environmental Management in person, US mail, or by phone during normal business hours (8a.m. - 5p.m.). Also, they can be submitted via Citizens Connect. Simply follow these three (3) easy steps to register a complaint:

  • Clearly identify the specific type of complaint or nuisance (ex.: trash/debris, junk vehicles, etc.).
  • Give your name and phone number. This will be part of the public record. Anonymous complaints are not accepted.
  • Know the ADDRESS and/or the owner of the property you are reporting. If the address is unknown, specific details of the location of the property is required.
  • Click here to access the Code Complaint Form.

Where can I report a junk or litter problem in my neighborhood?

Report the problem to the Leon County Department of Development Support and Environmental Management, Code Compliance Service Advisor at (850)606-1300.

What can I do if my neighbor is burning trash in my neighborhood?

Leon County has an open burning ordinance. Complaints can be filed with the Division of Forestry complaint line at (859) 681-5950 during 8am-5pm or in conjunction with the Leon County Sheriff’s Office at (850) 606-3300.

How can I report improperly placed political signs in my neighborhood?

Code Compliance staff is tasked with removal of improperly placed political signs and enforcement of signs that do not meet the requirements set forth in Section 10-9.108(a)14 of the Leon County Land Development Code (Chapter 10, Leon County Code of Laws).

Signs placed in public rights-of-way or on public property will be subject to immediate removal without notice. Recovered signs may be retrieved at Leon County Public Works Operations (606-1400) at 2280 Miccosukee Road.

How can I get a street sign repaired in my neighborhood?

Contact Leon County Public Works at (850) 606-1400 or put in a request online using Citizens Connect.

How can I get a hazardous tree removed?

If you notice a hazardous tree that needs attention causing intersection driveway sight issues contact Public Works at (850) 606-1400 or put in a request online using Citizens Connect for review.

Who should I contact regarding drainage and traffic safety issues in my neighborhood?

Contact Customer Support Engineer, Felton Ard, P.E. for questions and possible solutions to address issues at 606-1500 or

How can I get speed bumps installed in my neighborhood?

For information about the County’s Traffic Calming Program, contact Engineering Services at (850) 606-1500.

Where can I find information on road closures near me?

Information on current and upcoming road closures, including location, time, recommended detour routes, and information on how to request a road closure can be found here.

Where can I find more information about the County’s Septic to Sewer Project in my neighborhood?

In order to remove nutrients from the groundwater and protect previous natural resources, Leon County is leveraging State grants to convert septic tanks to central sewer. In addition, Leon County is evaluating different wastewater management alternatives to develop a Comprehensive Wastewater Treatment Facilities Plan. For additional details of these projects, including project scopes, participation requests forms, an interactive map to determine your eligibility, and contact information for additional questions click here.

Can I request more street lights for my neighborhood?

The County currently installs street lights in both the unincorporated area and inside the urban services area of the County at signalized intersections based upon high nighttime crashes and pedestrian activities. Intersections and road segments inside subdivisions are not eligible for this program. Contact Public Works at 606-1500 for additional information on the Street Lighting Program. To learn more about outdoor lighting options for your neighborhood contact your utility provider, Talquin Electric or City Electric.

Is my neighborhood eligible to participate in the County’s Sidewalk Program?

The County approved a Sidewalk Eligibility and Criteria for Implementation Policy in 2015, which provided for the priority of sidewalk projects for Safe Routes to Schools and other Community Sidewalk Enhancements. To find out if sidewalks are planned for your neighborhood or to request an evaluation for your street to be added to the list, contact or call (850)606-1500.

What is the 2/3 Program for Infrastructure Improvements and how can my neighborhood participate?

The 2/3 program provides a mechanism whereby the County, working in conjunction with local neighborhoods, can assist property owners residing on private roads and in private neighborhoods with the design, construction, and financing of infrastructure improvements, such as roads and stormwater drainage facilities. In doing this, the County fronts the costs associated with the improvements and allows residents to repay the County over time through special assessments placed on their property tax bill.

To qualify for the 2/3 program, a minimum of 2/3 of the affected owners must sign a petition agreeing to the improvements and 100% of the right-of-way needed for an improvement must be donated. To learn more about the 2/3 Program, contact the County’s Real Estate Division at (850) 606-5100 or Engineering Services at (850) 606-1500.

What can I do about an aggressive dog in my neighborhood?

Contact our office at (850)606-5400 and an Animal Control Officer will respond. If the owner is receptive to more carefully controlling the animal, the problem may be resolved immediately. State law and local ordinance provide for a process of classifying animals as aggressive or dangerous if their behavior, as defined in law, presents a physical threat to humans and domestic animals. Dangerous Animal Petitions are available through our office or through Animal Control Officers in the field. Access the form here: DANGEROUS ANIMAL PETITION FORM. Petitions must be completed and notarized prior to submission to Animal Control. An investigation will be conducted into the allegations.

What should I do if I find a dead animal in the road?

Leon County Public Works removes dead animals along County maintained rights-of-way. Contact us at (850) 606-1400 or put in a request online using Citizens Connect.

How can I participate in the County’s Free Mulch Program?

Leon County provides FREE mulch to Leon County and City of Tallahassee residents. Both coarse and fine mulches are available at the Solid Waste Facility on Apalachee Pkwy. Coarse mulch is also available at the County's three Rural Waste Service Centers. You do have to pick up the mulch (no delivery). It is recommended to call ahead to (850) 606-1800 to check on mulch availability.

Can I really receive free paint from the County?

The ReNew Paint Program recycles used paint (by mixing "like" colors) and gives it back to the community in five gallon buckets for free. Paint is given away on a first come basis Thursday mornings at 8:00 a.m. in front of the Household Hazardous Waste building located at 7550 Apalachee Parkway Tallahassee, FL 32311.

How should I dispose of unused household products?

The Hazardous Waste Center is your one-stop location for household hazardous waste and electronics disposal. Its services are free for all Leon County households. Click here to see which products are accepted.

How can I participate in the County’s Fire Hydrant Cost Sharing Program?

Leon County has modified its Fire Hydrant Policy to establish a cost-sharing program with neighborhoods for the installation of new fire hydrants in unincorporated Leon County. For more information contact Public Works at (850) 606-1500.