Skip to content

Veterans Emergency Assistance Program (VEAP)

If you are not a veteran, please see the County's Direct Emergency Assistance Program. Also, the Community Resources page may provide additional solutions for the assistance you seek.

The Veterans Emergency Assistance Program (VEAP) provides immediate financial assistance, including rent/mortgage, utilities, home fuel, temporary shelter, and transportation to eligible Leon County residents who are veterans and have served a minimum of 90 days in the United States military. Situations arise where, due to a family crisis, loss of employment, or some other emergency, a veteran and/or their family find they are temporarily unable to meet their basic needs. VEAP provides temporary emergency assistance and is not ongoing public assistance

Maximum Payment Amounts

Shelter (Rent/Mortgage)

The maximum level of assistance for housing (rent or mortgage) shall be limited to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Fair Market Rent for Leon County based on the number of bedrooms within the home. An applicant will be required to demonstrate the ability to make any payments above the HUD Fair Market Rent required to mitigate eviction or foreclosure.

Fair Market Rent FY 2024
# of Bedrooms Fair Market Rent
1 $ 1,183.00
2 $ 1,339.00
3 $ 1,708.00
4 $ 1,903.00
5 $ 2,188.00
6 $ 2,516.00
7 $ 2,893.00
8 $ 3,327.00

Utilities / Home Fuel

The maximum level of assistance for utility or home fuel shall be limited to the amount required to avoid disruption of services for the subsequent 30 days.

Temporary Shelter

Up to $65 a night for up to three nights in a hotel or non-congregate shelter.


Up to the equivalent cost of a round-trip intercity coach service (i.e. Greyhound or similar).

How to Apply

To submit an application for assistance,

  1. Visit the application portal.
  2. Register for a new account by inputting your email address, name, and password of your choice or if you already have a Neighborly account, sign in with your existing email address and password.
    1. Note: If you do not have access to the internet, please call the Office of Human Services and Community Partnerships at 850-606-1940 to speak to a Veteran Services staff member.
  3. Find the Emergency Assistance Program and click "Click here to start a new application."
  4. Follow the instructions on the application and submit all required documents where instructed.
  5. Once submitted, your application will be processed and you will receive an email with the next steps once the application has been reviewed.

We encourage Leon County residents to call 2-1-1 Big Bend at 2-1-1 or 850-617-6333 for more information on community resources that may be available to provide rent and/or utilities assistance.

Featured Video

2023 Annual Report Video 4:12
Back To Top