The Seed Library Program was launched in February 2015 as a collaborative effort between the LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library System, Sustainable Tallahassee and the UF/IFAS Leon Extension. The Seed Library Program began as a way to promote noninvasive, heirloom vegetable seed planting in Leon County and to encourage residents to grow their own nutritious food. The Seed Library is a very popular program that is eagerly anticipated each spring and fall.
The Seed Library is available every spring and fall. The Seed Library is launched each season with a special gardening and cooking program from UF/IAS Leon Extension.
HOW IT WORKS:
Beginning Saturday, February 13, 2021, visit any library branch location and check out up to three seed packets each month. No need to return them, they are yours to keep.
Seeds are also available for curbside pickup. When you arrive, call the number on the sign and let them know which 3 seed packets you'd like.
In celebration of the opening of the Spring 2021 Seed Library Program, Leon County Extension Agents are hosting a Virtual Workshop to discuss vegetable gardening techniques and the importance of eating healthy. The Seed Library Kickoff workshop will be hosted through Zoom on Saturday, February 13 from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Register here for the Zoom link.
Saturday, February 13 Workshop Timeline:
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Agriculture and Horticulture Agents Molly Jameson and Mark Tancig will present on spring gardening and vegetables available in the Spring 2021 Leon County Seed Library Program.
- 11:00 – 11:30 a.m. Family and Consumer Sciences Agent Amy Mullins will present on the importance of eating healthy and how to reduce food waste.
- 11:30 – 12:00 p.m. Family and Consumer Sciences Agent Heidi Copeland will do a live virtual cooking demonstration!
Spring 2021 seed varieties include:
- A & C Pickling Cucumber
- Black Krim Tomato
- Burmese Okra
- Butternut Waltham Squash
- Corno Di Toro Sweet Bell Pepper
- Edisto 47 Muskmelon
- Jackson Wonder Bean
- Large Leaf Italian Basil
- Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato
- Sugar Snap Peas
Please take our quick survey. Your responses will assist in creating a better seed library for next spring.
Spring Gardening Guide
Spring Gardening Brochure
Contact your library for more information.