Skip Navigation




Hazardous Waste is Serious Business

Are you a small business, nonprofit organization or governmental  agency (including schools) with hazardous waste you are looking to dispose of responsibly?

Save by using Leon County's Hazardous Waste Center. Call (850) 606-1803.

What businesses can participate? 

Leon County Solid Waste allows businesses that produce less than 220lbs of hazardous waste per month (called very small quantity generators) to dispose of hazardous waste at a lower cost than most commercial hazardous waste services. This can save businesses thousands of dollars in mobilization, chemists, drums, and disposal fees. Businesses will also receive documentation of proper disposal for their records. Businesses and other agencies must call (850) 606-1803 to make an appointment, Monday through Friday, to drop off their items at the Leon County Hazardous Waste Center (7550 Apalachee Pkwy.)




How can I begin using this service?

Businesses and other agencies must call (850) 606-1803 to make an appointment, Monday through Friday, to drop off their items at the Leon County Hazardous Waste Center (7550 Apalachee Pkwy.)

Normally, we are able to provide same-day appointments. We reserve the right to turn away non-household customers without an appointment and make an appointment for a later date.  Disposal fees will apply and we accept cash, checks and credit cards. The center may not be able to accept all materials for disposal because of capacity limits, though we will help to find an alternative disposal method.

New rates effective April 29, 2021, please click here

Here are some important changes from the previous pricing. Only computers and servers can be accepted at no charge. A per pound fee applies to all other electronics. The fee for high pressure tanks and bottles has increased to $467.00 per tank.  These prices are what the county pays for recycling and disposal under existing contracts.

Please prepare an inventory of materials and amounts prior to arrival.  Customers may be asked to open/unpack loose packed bags and other containers or to organize material before acceptance.  Non-UN rated drums, those that are not in good condition, and/or not sealed with proper closures will be subject to a $120 over pack fee. We do not provide replacement drums.  

What happens if I don't properly dispose of hazardous waste?

Beyond hurting the environment, improper disposal of hazardous waste can lead to fines and possible legal fees. 

What if I produce more than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month?

Institutions that produce between 220 and 2,200 lbs of hazardous waste per moth are considered Small Quantity Generators (SQG) that must work with a licensed hazardous materials transporter and disposal company to properly collect material from their location and transport for disposal. SQG institutions are also required to obtain a federal EPA Identification Number that is used for tracking hazardous materials shipments.

What is considered Hazardous Waste?

Hazardous waste is any form of waste that poses a threat to human health and/or the environment. Hazardous waste can be FLAMMABLE, CORROSIVE, REACTIVE, or TOXIC.



spray can icon

Household Items
Aerosols, personal care items (nail polish and remover, hair color), spot removers, glues, lamp oil and light bulbs.

spray can icon

Phones, printers and ink cartridges, computers, televisions, fax machines, cables, mice, external drives, modems, electronic games, stereos, pagers, radios, DVDs, CDs, VHS, and cassettes.

spray can icon

Oven and drain cleaners, floor-care products, ammonia, metal and furniture polish, toilet bowl cleaner, and mildew, lime, bleach or rust remover.

spray can icon

Motor oil, gasoline (limit 15 gallons), fuel oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, parts cleaner, paint (limit 15 gallons), stains, glue, pain thinner, turpentine, solvents, oils, caulks, herbicides, insecticides, pool chemicals, lighter fluid, and mercury thermometers.

spray can icon

Alkaline, rechargeable, watch, and car batteries.



spray can icon


spray can icon

Medical Waste and Prescription Drugs

spray can icon

Radioactive Waste

spray can icon

Compressed Gas Cylinders


We cannot accept Styrofoam, medical, or radioactive wastes. Sharps (needles and lancets) containers are available at the Florida Department of Health in Leon County. By law and to protect employee health and safety, our facility cannot accept biohazardous waste from doctors, clinics, hospitals, optometrists, veterinarians, medical laboratories, school biological laboratories, etc.)  This includes:

  • Chemicals and materials that may have been in contact with patients, tissue or pathogens (lab solvents for sample preparation, contact lens cleaning solutions, dental amalgam)
  • Chemicals used in laboratories for analytical or experimental purposes including chemicals used in schools for chemistry experiments.
  • Biological specimens (animals or animal parts) preserved in liquids
  • Electronic equipment that may contain a radioactive component or may have been exposed to radiation (diagnostic equipment containing a radioactive component, x-ray lab aprons)

For more information on proper disposal of prescriptions and medical sharps, click here.

Laboratory Chemicals Our facility is not equipped to accept large quantities of chemicals from commercial, governmental or school laboratories that are used for analysis, experimentation or educational purposes.  To arrange for proper disposal, contact the Florida Department of Environmental Protection 850.245.8789 for a list of hazardous waste contractors

Electronic Scrap Electronic items and scrap are accepted at the Hazardous Waste Center drive-through from residents and businesses.

More Information


Blasts from the past - Our Old Pesticide Gallery  

Sign up for e-mail notifications of these events and other Leon County news.

Back to Solid Waste Home Page