Skip Navigation

Greenway Land Management Plans


The Leon County Board of County Commissioners has recently appointed two independent Citizens Advisory Committees to review the Land Management Plans for the Miccosukee Canopy Road Greenways and the J.R. Alford Greenways.

Below is an overview of what a Land Management Plan is and the process it goes through when under review.

Land Management Plan and Land Use Plan Overview

A land use or land management plan is required for all uplands under lease from the State of Florida. Land Use Plans are required for non-conservation lands, and Land Management Plans are required for conservation lands. Both Florida Statutes (Section 253.034(5), F.S.) and the lease from the State require that an initial Land Use or Land Management Plan be submitted to the Division of State Lands, part of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, within one year from the date the land is first leased. The plan must be updated and submitted again at least every ten years thereafter. A conservation land management plan must also be updated whenever new facilities are added, previously unapproved substantive land use or land management changes are proposed, or within one year of the addition of significant new lands.

Developing a Plan

The plan requirements differ for conservation and non-conservation lands. The Division of State Lands has identified which properties it considers to be in each category based on guidance from the Florida Statutes. The first step is to determine which category a property is in. The lease for the property will indicate whether a Land Use Plan is required (non-conservation) or a Land Management Plan (conservation) is required. In Leon County’s case, both the Miccosukee Canopy Road Greenways and the J.R. Alford Greenways are considered conservation lands. Therefore, the County is required to have a Land Management Plan for each property.

Conservation Land Management Plans

All Land Management Plans must meet statutory (Sections 253.034(5) and 259.032(10), F.S.) and rule requirements. A checklist, which itemizes these requirements, is provided to land managing agencies, such as Leon County, from the State.

Plans over 160 acres

Land Management Plans for parcels over 160 acres must be presented to the Acquisition and Restoration Council (ARC) for their recommendations. Since the Miccosukee Canopy Road Greenway is approximately 503 acres and the J. R. Alford Greenway is approximately 874 acres, both of the revised Management Plans will have to go through the ARC. Pursuant to Florida Statute, ARC has 90 days to review these management plans. This requires the plans to be received by the Division of State Lands at least 90 days prior to the next scheduled ARC meeting.

Public Input and Board of County Commissioners Review

In accordance with County Resolution Numbers 10-74 and 10-75 the Citizen’s Advisory Committees “…shall have as its goal to participate in the update and review of the Greenways’ Management Plan, collect public input, and make final recommendations regarding any modifications to the Management Plan to the Leon County Board of County Commissioners for submittal to the State.” The date(s) for the public meetings will be established once the Committees have completed some initial ground work and are prepared to provide information and recommendations for public review. In the meantime, all Committee meetings are open to the public and publicized prior to the meeting. Citizens can also call the Leon County Division of Parks and Recreation at 850/606-1470 to get meeting information. Furthermore, in accordance with Section 286.26, Florida Statutes, persons needing a special accommodation to participate in this proceeding should contact Maxine Donovan with Leon County Parks and Recreation at 2280 Miccosukee Road, Tallahassee, Florida, 32308, or at by written request at least 48 hours prior to the proceeding. Telephone: (850) 606-1474.



Leon County Division of Parks and Recreation
Director: Amanda Heidecker
1907 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32301
(850) 606-1470
(850) 606-1471 (fax)