Skip Navigation

EIP Notice: Flood Warning issued December 2 at 8:51PM EST until December 8 at 1:00AM EST by NWS Tallahassee FL... More »

Human Services

To serve as a safety net to enhance the quality of life for Leon County residents by providing resources, access to social services, and short term financial assistance.

Social Services funds health and human service programs for which County participation is mandated by the State of Florida and awards grants to local service providers who demonstrate successful prevention and intervention strategies that serve to reduce these costly mandates. The services are delivered in such a way that they preserve and encourage the individual's dignity and sense of self-worth as well as the dignity and self-worth of those who provide the services.

The Tallahassee-Leon County Nonprofit Services Grant Program 


The Tallahassee-Leon County Nonprofit Services Grant Program, the application window closed on

Monday, August 9th, 2021, at 5 p.m.


Image of Leon Cares logo


February 23, 2022

Tallahassee-Leon County Nonprofit Services Grant Webinar on Reporting Webinar

Webinar PDF



Image of Leon Cares header

September 1, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.

Tallahassee-Leon County Nonprofit Services Grant Awardee Webinar Recording

Webinar PDF

Nonprofit Services Grant Awardee FAQs 

Nonprofit Services Grant Instructions for Contract

ARPA Resource Sheet

July 20, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.

Tallahassee-Leon County Nonproft Services Grant Program Webinar

The Access Passcode: Bh9iPL%D

Grant Application Guide

Nonprofit Services Grant Program FAQs

Image of Leon Cares header

June 22, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.

Tallahassee-Leon County Nonproft Services Grant Program Webinar

Nonprofit Services Grant Program Webinar Presentation

Nonprofit Services Grant Program FAQs

The Application period opens Monday, July 26, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.

The online application will be available in the near future.  


The following social service functions of the Division of  Human Services are requirements of State law.

Child Protection Exams – Chapter 39.304(5) F.S.

Disposition of Unclaimed Bodies and Chapter 245.06 F.S.

Health Care Responsibility Act - Mandated under Chapter 154 F.S.

Indigent Burial Program - Chapter 406.50 F.S. and Leon County Policy 83-3

Medicaid Match Program - Mandated under Chapter 409 F.S.

Mental Health Program - Mandated under Chapters 394 and 396 F.S.

Tubercular Care - Chapter 392.51 F.S.

The Leon County Office of Human Services and Community Partnerships provide the following social services programs, either directly or indirectly:

* Child Protection Exams – The County pays for examination cost for children who are alleged to have been abused, abandoned, or neglected.

* Direct Emergency Assistance Program (DEAP) - DEAP provides emergency assistance with basic necessities such as rent, utilities/fuel, food and medication in an effort to prevent homelessness, malnutrition and disease for citizens meeting eligibility criteria.

* Health Care Responsibility Act - This program funds out-of-county emergency hospital care for indigent Leon County patients.

* Human Service Grants - Based upon the recommendations of a citizen advisory committee, the County awards grants to local human service providers through CHSP.

* Indigent Burial Program - This program provides for the cremation or burial of qualified indigent and unclaimed deceased persons at the County expense and in the County's pauper cemetery.

* Medicaid Match Program - As mandated by State law, the County pays 35% of the cost of hospitalization for Leon County Medicaid patients with hospital stays extending from the 13th through the 45th day. $55 per month is also paid for each County nursing home resident.

 * Mental Health Program - As required by State law, Leon County provides matching funds for acute care programs such as: Baker Act, community mental health programs, alcohol abuse/chemical dependency treatment and transporting clients to the State hospital. The County pays 25% of the program costs exclusive of third party payments, fees and other local contributions for its indigent residents. The State of Florida funds the remaining 75 percent.

 * Tubercular Care - The purpose of this program is to coordinate the admission and transportation of indigent tuberculosis patients to a state tuberculosis hospital.

For more information contact  The Office of Human Services and Community Partnerships at (850) 606-1900.


Back to Top