Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) and Paramedics are healthcare professionals that care for the sick and injured in emergency medical settings, mainly outside of a medical facility on an ambulance and in some cases in a hospital emergency department. EMT’s and Paramedics also play a role in risk reduction by providing public educational programs.
The EMT/Paramedic Junior Apprentice will participate in ride-alongs to observe staff as they provide basic and advanced life support and transport sick and injured patients. This Junior Apprentice will also assist EMS staff in the following:
- Maintains ambulances in compliance with State and division standards, insuring supplies, and cleanliness.;
- Coordinating and participating in public education and outreach events and activities;
- Provides administrative support (filings, typing, copying, enter data, answering phones) for EMS staff.
The EMT/Paramedic Junior Apprentice will work in the Leon County Emergency Medical Services Division located in the Public Safety Complex at 911 Easterwood Dr.
A Dispatcher answer calls and communicates with mobile units to send the appropriate response. Dispatchers work in the emergency services field dispatching police, fire and ambulances when someone dials 9-1-1 or non-emergency numbers.
The Dispatch Junior Apprentice will work in the County’s Animal Control division dispatching service requests to Animal Control Officers, answering calls, communicating with mobile units, and maintaining records. The position involves the following:
- Assisting the Dispatcher in receiving all incoming calls on telephone lines and connecting them to the appropriate Animal Control Officers;
- Maintaining records of all telephone calls and records for services;
- Performing a wide variety of clerical duties such as data entry, data retrieval, and report generation relating to the above functions;
- Assisting in coordinating with veterinary clinics to see injured or sick animals impounded by Animal Control Officers; and
- Assisting in coordinating educational and outreach events hosted by Leon County Animal Control.
The Dispatch Junior Apprentice will work in the Leon County Animal Control Division located in the Public Safety Complex at 911 Easterwood Dr.
A CAD Technician is a key member of the engineering design team and works with computer software to create graphic models based upon real world data. The CAD Junior Apprentice will learn how to create base plans using field survey data and/or GIS information, collect engineering data such as traffic counts and crash reports, and develop design plans under an engineer’s direction. The position involves the following:
- Preparing various drawings for engineering designs and incorporating them into drawings;
- Assisting in downloading survey files to create maps for various projects and needs such as contour, right-of-way, and maintenance; and
- Assisting design engineers with field investigations, picks up supplies and makes deliveries, and obtains traffic accident reports from local agencies.
The CAD Junior apprentice will work in the Leon County Public Works-Engineering Services Division at 2280 Miccosukee Rd.
The Fleet Mechanic Junior Apprenticeship is only available to students who are dual enrolled in Lively Technical Center’s Automotive Services Program. Students selected for this opportunity will gain hands-on experience performing skilled work maintaining and repairing Leon County’s fleet of cars and vehicles. The position involves the following:
- Assisting mechanics in maintaining repairs of cars and EMS vehicles;
- Performing air conditioning maintenance and repair work;
- Procuring parts, materials, and supplies;
- Consulting with manufacturers/vendors; and
- Maintaining accident reports and other repair records.
The Fleet Mechanic Junior Apprentice will work in Leon County’s Public Works-Fleet Management department at 2280 Miccosukee Rd.
The Construction Management Junior Apprentice works in Leon County’s Division of Housing Services, whose mission is to provide safe and affordable homes to low-income citizens. This Junior Apprentice will assist the County’s Housing Rehabilitation Specialist in completing technical work inspecting and monitoring home rehabilitation projects for the correction of building and structure safety code violations. Typical job duties include:
- Participating in building site visits;
- Generating work write ups and specifications for housing rehab projects;
- Conducting property and environmental research;
- Managing records and files on projects; and
- Assisting with special events.
The Construction Management Junior Apprentice Junior Apprentice works in the Leon County Office of Human Services & Community Partnerships-Housing Services Division at 918 Railroad Avenue.
The IT Tech Support Junior Apprentice will shadow and assist Leon County IT Technicians with software testing and installation, hardware upgrades, website management, audio/visual support, and more. The position involves the following:
- Assisting IT staff with software testing and installation;
- Performing research and development of open source tools;
- Assisting IT staff with hardware upgrades (SSD, RAM, et cetera);
- Assisting IT staff in providing virtual machine upgrades, tool configurations, and performing network assignments;
- Conducting procurement processing and dispersion, including property management;
- Performing Project Management data collection and creation; and
- Assisting IT staff in providing audio/visual support for chamber events, pre and post events.
The IT Tech Support Junior Apprentice will work in Leon County’s Office of Information & Technology located in the Leon County Courthouse at 301 South Monroe Street.
- Assisting the Web Administrator in monitoring, planning, and coordinating technical aspects of the web authoring process.
- Establishing website standards.
- Instituting proper recovery systems.
- General application support for all web-based projects.
The Web Development Junior Apprentice will work in Leon County’s Office of Information and Technology located in the Leon County Courthouse at 301 South Monroe Street.
The Graphics & Digital Design Apprentice creates graphics and videos for the Leon County Library using a variety of software. This Junior Apprentice will also help manage the Library’s website and social media accounts in addition to providing assistance at the tech media service desk. Typical job duties include:
- Creating graphics, advertisements, and videos for Library events using Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as well as video editing software including Adobe Premiere Pro and Camtasia.
- Assisting in maintaining the Library's social media accounts and updating the Library website using web design software.
- Assisting Library patrons at the tech media service desk.
The Graphics and Digital Design (Library) Junior Apprentice works in the Leon County Collins Main Library at 200 West Park Avenue.
The Graphics and Digital Design Junior Apprentice will shadow and assist Leon County’s Graphic Designer in creating collateral to promote County programs, initiatives, and special events using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom, and other specialized software. The position involves the following:
- Photographing County events and performing post-processing edits;
- Maintaining online photo gallery, adding new event photos and pages as necessary; and
- Designing marketing materials, including printed materials, presentations, and digital graphics used to promote County programs, initiatives, and special events.
The Graphics & Digital Design Junior Apprentice (CMR) will work in Leon County’s Community and Media Relations Department located in the Leon County Courthouse at 301 South Monroe Street.