Many enhancements have been made to the building application review and approval process to reduce the overall review and approval time frames associated with building permit applications. Please click here for more details.
Now available for your convenience: electronic document recording. Ask a Service Advisor about this time saving option.
* The new 2014 Florida Building Codes (Fifth Edition) will become effective on June 30, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. All building permit applications received at the start of business on June 30, 2015 will be reviewed using the Fifth Edition of the code. All applications received prior to this date, will be reviewed using the current 2010 edition of the code.
* On June 26, 2012, the Board of County Commissioners approved a Resolution to waive all building, development services, and environmental permit review fees for honorably discharged veterans with 100% service connected disability. Please contact a Building Plans Review Service Advisor for more information.
* On February 12, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners adopted an amendment to the County's Noise Abatement Ordinance, specifically in relation to construction-related activities. For a brief summary of the revisions, please click here.
- On January 14, 2014, the Leon County Building Plans Review and Inspections Division initiated a new program which will allow the electronic review of all permit applications and plans for new single family dwellings. The program is called Project Dox and allows the applicant one of three different ways to submit permit applications for electronic review and permitting. If you are interested in taking advantage of this new electronic review process, you can access the Project Dox web site from our Automated Permitting page, or click here for more information.
The Leon County Department of Development Support and Environmental Management, in partnership with the Leon County Office of Resource Stewardship, are pleased to announce the acceptance of solar permit applications through our Velocity Hall electronic permitting program. This new initiative is now available to all licensed solar, electrical, plumbing and pool contractors. For an overview of solar permitting requirements, please click here. If you are a registered contractor and have a solar master permit file recorded in our office, you may apply online and potentially receive your permit within minutes. If you have not registered for this time saving service, please contact our office at 606-1300 for information on how to register for Velocity Hall. For a complete list of all automated permits available, please click here.
1. Review of building construction plans prior to issuance of permits to ensure structures are designed in accordance with applicable codes.
2. Ensure structures are constructed in accordance with approved plans and applicable codes through onsite inspections.
3. Provide staff support to the Contractors Licensing Board to ensure contractors’ performance complies with State and local requirements.
4. Review new construction products, methods, and materials prior to use in Leon County.
5. Provide staff support to the Board of Adjustment and Appeals and the Code Enforcement Board.
6. Provide assistance to the Florida Association of Counties, Florida League of Cities, and the Building Officials Association of Florida during the Legislative Session and related Committee meetings regarding local impacts of proposed construction legislation.