Any person, age 16 and up, residing in Leon County who can show proof of residency of the type listed in this policy is eligible to apply for a free library card. Children under the age of 16, residing in Leon County must have a parent or guardian complete the card application on their behalf, and show proof of residency. Parents or guardians are responsible for items checked out by their children.
Individuals who live outside Leon County but who own property in Leon County or are employees of Leon County are eligible to apply for a free library card: Board of County Commissioners, Sheriff, Supervisor of Elections, Clerk of the Courts, Tax Collector, Public Defender, State's Attorney, and Court Administrator. Leon County employees must provide a current pay stub, and Leon County property owners, who reside outside Leon County, must provide a tax receipt as evidence of eligibility.
Other individuals who do not meet these two eligibility criteria and who do not reside in Leon County must pay for a card at a rate of $10 for three months; $20 for six months or $30 for a year.
Lost cards may be replaced by the library upon presentation of the required proof of residency and payment of $2 for adults and $1 for children under the age of 16.
Individuals who apply for a library card must present photo identification. If the photo identification does not show the individual’s current local street address, proof of residency in Leon County may be in the form of any one of the documents listed that shows the name of the applicant and the current Leon County street address of residency.
The following documents may be used as proof of residency in Leon County:
1. Current lease agreement, dormitory contract, or rent receipt
2. Current cable, phone, or utility bill with patron's street address
3. Current automobile registration
4. Recent property tax or mortgage payment receipt
5. Leon County voter registration card
6. Recent bank statement with patron's street address
When applying online, provision of a Driver’s License or Florida Identification number will serve as proof of photo identification, and successful delivery of the library card by mail to the residence will serve as proof of address.
Students enrolled in any school college or university located in Leon County may apply for a library card:
1. These individuals must present a valid student ID, report card, current school schedule, dorm contract, or proof of status as a homeschooled student registered with Leon County Schools, as evidence of eligibility.
2. Students under the age of 16 must have a parent or guardian complete the card application and present a state issued photo ID. Parents or guardians are responsible for items checked out by their children.
3. When applying online, students must select that they attend school or are registered for home school in Leon County. Successful delivery of the library card by mail to the residence will serve as proof of address.
- Protect your card!
- Cardholders are responsible for all materials checked out on their cards.
- Keep your contact information current. Log in to your Library account to update your contact information, or call (850) 606-2665.
- Lost or stolen cards should be replaced immediately.
- Every two years, your library card will need to be renewed. At that time, you will receive an email notifying you that it is time to log in to your library account, update your information, and click Renew. You may also call the library at (850) 606-2665 to renew your library card.
- There is no charge to renew library cards.
- To renew a Non-Resident fee card, call (850) 606-2665.