May 4, 2020
As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread globally, Leon County Emergency Management is committed to actively monitoring the disease and coordinating preparedness efforts with local health officials, healthcare providers, first responders, and other critical emergency response functions.
The following update provides a timely, accurate, and vetted source of official County and community information.
- Starting May 4 limited partial openings are available at some Florida State Parks. Information on limited openings for Lake Talquin State Park, Lake Jackson Mounds Archeological State Park, St. Marks River Preserve State Park, Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park, and the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad Trail can be found here.
- Patients First opens walk-up testing site at 1705 Mahan Drive. The testing site will operate Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Patients may be tested without referral and may be symptomatic or not. Find more information on the Patients First site HERE.
- LearnFromALocal.com helps Tallahassee Businesses make ends meet. This online resource allows you to get expert how-to advice from Tallahassee professionals and return the favor by giving back to their businesses. More here.
- Leon County Schools announces its Smart Bus Initiative to provide free Wifi for students and their families. The LCS SmartBus Initiative will provide identified neighborhoods with school buses outfitted with Wi-Fi technology that enhances Internet accessibility so students engage with their teachers and classmates, safely and securely at home. More here.
- Leon County to Re-Open in alignment with the State of Florida. Starting Monday, May 4, County government will be re-opening in very small steps and in alignment with the State of Florida. In addition, the countywide curfew will expire and not be renewed as of Monday, May 4 at 12:01 a.m. More here.
- Beginning on May 4 Florida will enter Phase 1 of the Safe. Smart. Step-by-Plan for Florida's Recovery. Governor DeSantis outlines steps for a phased reopening based upon recommendations from the Re-Open Florida Task Force. View the Governor's Executive Order. View Frequently Asked Questions about Phase 1. More here.
- CDC Adds More Known Symptoms Associated with COVID-19. Chills, muscle pain, new loss of taste and smell, sore throat and headache are among the ailments now considered potential indicators of the disease. More here.
- COVID-19 by the Numbers. Global cases of COVID-19 now surpass 3.5 million. According to the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) there are 229 positive cases of COVID-19 in Leon County. In Florida, there are now 36,897 positive cases of COVID-19, and 1,399 COVID-19-related deaths. These numbers are updated regularly by FDOH; visit the dashboard for more detailed information, here.
As you may have noticed, we are no longer including the entire community update in this message. Instead, we have organized all of the information from previous community updates in a COVID-19 Information Portal. Below you will find the content available on the portal.
Continue to follow www.LeonCountyFL.gov/eip for any local updates or changes to services.