Policy No. 19
Effective Date: October 15, 2019
Any person, age 16 and up, residing in Leon County who can show proof of residency of the type listed in this policy is eligible to apply for a free library card. Children under the age of 16, residing in Leon County must have a parent or guardian complete the card application on their behalf, and show proof of residency. Parents or guardians are responsible for items checked out by their children.
Individuals who live outside Leon County but who own property in Leon County or are employees of Leon County are eligible to apply for a free library card: Board of County Commissioners, Sheriff, Supervisor of Elections, Clerk of the Courts, Tax Collector, Public Defender, State's Attorney, and Court Administrator. Leon County employees must provide a current pay stub, and Leon County property owners, who reside outside Leon County, must provide a tax receipt as evidence of eligibility.
Other individuals who do not meet these two eligibility criteria and who do not reside in Leon County must pay for a card at a rate of $10 for three months; $20 for six months or $30 for a year.
Lost cards may be replaced by the library upon presentation of the required proof of residency and payment of $2 for adults and $1 for children under the age of 16.
Individuals who apply for a library card must present photo identification. If the photo identification does not show the individual’s current local street address, proof of residency in Leon County may be in the form of any one of the documents listed that shows the name of the applicant and the current Leon County street address of residency.
The following documents may be used as proof of residency in Leon County:
- Current lease agreement, dormitory contract, or rent receipt
- Recent cable, phone or utility bill with customer’s street address
- Current automobile registration
- Recent property tax or mortgage payment receipt
- Leon County voter registration card
- Recent bank statement with same information
Students enrolled in any school college or university located in Leon County may apply for a libray card:
1. These individuals must present a valid student ID, report card, current school schedule, dorm contract, or proof of status as a homeschooled student registered with Leon County Schools, as evidence of eligibility.
2. Students under the age of 16 must have a parent or guardian complete the card application and present a state issued photo ID. Parents or guardians are responsible for items checked out by their children.
from Leon County Policy 98-11, effective October 15, 2019
- Every two years your library card will need to be renewed. At that time, library staff will confirm or update your address, phone numbers, e-mail address and other information in our records. There is no charge to renew library cards.
- Non-resident fee cards can be renewed as needed.