Skip Navigation

EIP Notice: August 3 - Leon County COVID-19 Community Update... More »

Frequently Asked Questions



When are the Leon County Contractor's Licensing and Examination Board regular scheduled meetings?
The Contractors' Licensing and Examination Board meets the first Thursday of every month at 4:30 pm. in the Conference Room on the 2nd floor of the Renaissance Building.  The Renaissance Building is located at 435 North Macomb Street, Tallahassee, Florida.


Where do I get a Business Tax Receipt for a business?
Effective October 1, 2009, Leon County no longer issues Business Tax Receipts.  If your address is located within the City of Tallahassee, you will need to go to the Revenue Division at the City of Tallahassee, 435 N. Macomb Street, First Floor of the Renaissance Building.  It is important to understand that this is not a contractor’s license.

Where do I get a Competency Letter?
Effective October 1, 2009, Competency Letters will no longer be required. Competency letters were formerly required for obtaining a Business Tax Receipt.

If I am the owner of a company and have no employees, can I file Workers Compensation Exemption with the State?

Who do I contact to get an Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC or Mechanical License?
You must obtain a State of Florida Certified License in these categories from the Department of Business and Professional Regulations (BPR). 

Does Leon County reciprocate contractor licenses with other counties?
Yes, Leon County reciprocates licenses (Residential, Building, General, Swimming Pool, and Roofing) with all Counties, except Broward and Dade.  Reciprocity is also based on whether the applicant has taken an exam comparable to what Leon County requires and made a passing grade of at least 70%.

    Please click here for the Application for Reciprocity or Reinstatement.

What type of insurance must a Residential, Building or General Contractor need to have in order to work in Leon County?
Residential, Swimming Pool and Roofing - $100,000 General Liability and Workers Compensation; Building and General - $300,000 General Liability and Workers Compensation.


What do I need to do to become a licensed Residential, Building, General, Swimming Pool, or Roofing Contractor?

An application must be completed and approved by the Contractors’ Licensing and Examination Board.  Once the application is approved, an exam date will be scheduled.


    Please click here for the Registered Contractor's License Application.
    Please click here for the Specialty Contractor's License Application.


I would like to complain about the contractor that built my house.  How do I place a complaint against the contractor?

You will need to submit a written complaint to the Leon County Contractors’ Licensing and Examination Board.  To obtain the process of what is required; please call the Licensing Administrator at (850) 606-1300.


    Please click here for the Registered Contractor Complaint Form.
    Please click here for the Certified Contractor Complaint Form.


I am a State of Florida Certified contractor, what are the requirements for me to work in Leon County?

a) Provide a copy of your State of Florida Certified License.

b) Provide a copy of your Workers Compensation or Exemption.
c) General Liability, Please have your insurance provider send a copy of your general liability directly to our office listing the certificate holder as Leon County DSEM, 435 N. Macomb Street, 2nd Floor, Tallahassee, FL 32301.


Is there a fee to register my State of Florida Certified License?

No, Certified contractors are not required to pay a registration or yearly maintenance fee.


Do you have questions regarding a Contractor?
Is the Contractor licensed?
Is the Contractor registered with Leon County?
Is the Contractor properly licensed to do the work?
Has the Contractor had any complaints filed against them?


If you are in doubt or have any additional questions, please inquire with the Leon County Contractors' Licensing and Examination Board at (850) 606-1300.