Skip Navigation

EIP Notice: July 8 - Leon County COVID-19 Community Update... More »

Development Services FAQs



Why do I have to see someone in Development Services prior to submitting a permit application?
In order to provide you with some assurance that the activity you want to pursue on your property is allowable under the current rules and regulations. Development Services staff will check to make sure the site is properly zoned and subdivided and that the type, intensity and density of your proposed activity is allowable under the current Leon County Codes. Although our staff will informally review your circumstances, you will need a formal land use and project status determination prior to proceeding through any of the permitting and approval processes at Development Support and Environmental Management.

What is a land use and project determination? (a.k.a.; Land Use Determination, Project Status Determination, Permitted Use Verification and Certificate of Concurrency)
According to Section 10-7.402 of the Leon County Code, all final development orders which includes; building and environmental permits and site plan and subdivision approvals require a land use and project determination. The purpose of the land use and project determination is to clarify land use, type of permit required and the appropriate review process.
These land use and project determinations vary according to the type of development activity you have proposed, such as;

  • for manufactured/mobile homes it is a Land Use Determination*. 

  • for single family residential and other building permits it is a Project Status Determination*. 

  • for non-exempt site plan and subdivision approvals which includes concurrency reviews it is a Permitted Use Verification (PUV). 
    * Special Note: A Certificate of Concurrency may be substituted for the Project Status Determination

  • Certificates of Concurrency are provided for sites after they have completed the required concurrency review process. The concurrency review process is required for any and all new development or redevelopment projects which are not exempted or vested from the Comprehensive Plan. Once the development or redevelopment project meets all concurrency requirements, then the project site or any newly created lots as part of the project are considered concurrent and receive a Certificate of Concurrency. The Certificate of Concurrency can then be submitted in place of the required Land Use Determination or Project Status Determination.

What Is a Permitted Use Verification (PUV)?
Permitted Use Verification Certificates are required prior to making application for any development that is subject to site and development plan review. The purpose of the Permitted Use Verification (PUV) is to assist staff and applicants by clarifying potential land uses, permit issues and determine the appropriate type of review process.
The PUV by itself does not authorize any development activity; it is simply provided as an informational guide to the necessary approval steps required to complete prior to development proceeding forward. PUVs may be modified during the review process as additional information becomes available.

When is site and development plan review required? What types of development are exempt from site and development plan review?
Generally, the types of development which require review are outlined under Article XI (Subdivision and Site and Development Plan Regulations) of the Leon County Land Development Code. For additional assistance in making this determination, please call the Development Services Duty Officer at 606-1300. However, the following types of development are specifically listed in Section 10-7.402 of the Land Development Code as exceptions to the site and development plan review process:

  • Single residential structures which house up to four families.

  • An accessory building to a single residential structure which houses up to four families.

  • Commencement of home occupations

  • Additions not exceeding 1,000 square feet of total gross floor area or ten percent increase of total onsite impervious area.

  • Changes in tenancy in already built space.

  • Development or alteration of any building used exclusively for agriculture, horticulture, or floriculture located in the rural land use district.

  • Change of occupancy.

  • New or expansion of existing industrial uses or development of up to 10,000 square feet.

  • Boundary settlements, conveyances to government and franchisee, creation of equal or larger parcels, corrective instruments, additional dwelling units without subdivision, and judicial exceptions.

What is the zoning on my property and what can I place on it?
Your zoning will vary based on where you are located in the County. Your zoning will determine what type of development can occur on your property. In order to find out your property zoning, you may contact the Department of Development Support and Environmental Management, Development Services Division at 606-1300. In order to assist you more effectively, it would be beneficial if you could provide staff with your tax parcel identification number.

Can I sell off some of my land? If not, why not?
Yes, you can sell all or part of your land. However, in order to legally transfer the property in a manner where it can be developed, you will need to make sure it is a legal subdivision. Therefore, prior to selling the property you will need to apply for and receive the appropriate subdivision approval. For more information on subdividing property, you will need to contact the Department of Development Support and Environmental Management, Development Services Division, at 435 N. Macomb Street.

Why do I have to obtain a Letter of Exception?
If your property was subdivided between January 1, 1984 and October 31, 1990 without County approval, then you will need after-the-fact approval whereby a property owner is required to record a letter of exception affidavit with the Clerk of the Court's office prior to permitting.

Can I add dwelling units to my property?
Maybe, it depends on whether your zoning allows for additional dwelling units.

Do I need to subdivide my property to add a dwelling unit on my lot?
Maybe, it depends on several conditions ranging from zoning to size and location of the property. In order to determine if you qualify, you should contact the Development Services Advisor at 606-1300.

For more information on Development Services click here.