The original stormwater management concept for Killearn Lakes was for “Sheet Flow” from the road right-of-ways and lots to be conveyed to the extensive Green Spaces and, ultimately, into the lakes/stormwater facilities. Over the years, the Green Spaces have been left in their natural state and trash, underbrush, and deadfall have impeded stormwater flows. The proposed project is to clean up and enhance the Green Spaces, such that they will function as originally intended for stormwater treatment and flood control. Due to the amount of Green Spaces needing to be improved and limited funding, the project was phased to focus first on the primary drainage ways in Units 1, 2, and 3.
Phase I – Unit I
- Cleaning out of underbrush, deadfall, and trash.
- Removing sediments that have built up in existing channels and restoring them such that they can provide effective conveyance of stormwater.
- Repairing existing conveyance systems, such as curbs and swales, utilizing berms and swales to redirect stormwater to the Green Spaces and safely pass it through the subdivision.
- Enhancing the Green Spaces by removal of dead and invasive vegetation and replanting with native species.
- Cleaning of the Green Spaces to reduce the risk of fire, while enhancing wildlife habitat.
September 2015: Unit 1 – Construction Initiated
December 13, 2016: First amendment to the agreement
June 30, 2017: Projected Completion Date
Felton Ard, P.E. Kim Wood, P.E.
Customer Support Engineer Chief of Engineering Coordination
Leon County Public Works Leon County Public Works
2280 Miccosukee Road, Tall., FL 32308 2280 Miccosukee Road, Tall., FL 32308
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (850) 606-1515 Phone: (850) 606-1545
Fax: (850) 606-1501 Fax: (850) 606-1501