In addition, Mr. Thiele has been the recipient of numerous awards, including:
- Florida Trend – Legal Elite for Government and Non-Profit Attorneys, 2014;
- Chair Service Award, in appreciation of outstanding service to the City, County and Local Government Law Section and The Florida Bar, 2005;
- President’s Award, in recognition of outstanding service and dedication to the organization, Florida Association of County Attorneys, 2004;
- Ethics in Government Award, in appreciation for his many years of professionalism, skill, and expertise in the fostering of proper ethics in all aspects of County government, Florida Association of County Attorneys, 1998 and again in 2001;
- Paul S. Buchman Award, for outstanding contributions in the area of legal public service from the City, County and Local Government Law Section of The Florida Bar, 2000;
- Ralph A. Marsicano Award, for significant contributions to the development of local government law in Florida, Local Government Law Section, The Florida Bar, 1991; and
- Florida Municipal Attorney of the Year, presented by the Florida Municipal Attorneys Association, 1987-1988.
Mr. Thiele is frequently requested as a speaker and has lectured and written numerous articles on local government matters, including PACE program issues, honest services and misuse of office, local lobbyist regulation, public records and sunshine laws, personnel matters, public finance, and zoning, land use, and comprehensive planning matters. In September 2014, he was the Keynote Speaker at Florida’s Ethics Conference and Attorney General’s Sunshine Summit.
The County Attorney is appointed by the Board of County Commissioners and is directly responsible to the Board.
The Leon County Charter provides that the office of the County Attorney shall provide legal services to the Board of County Commissioners, the County Administrator, and County departments, boards and agencies organized under the Board of County Commissioners. The office of the County Attorney shall also review all contracts, bonds, ordinances, resolutions and other written instruments.
The County Attorney is not authorized to provide legal advice to private citizens in his capacity as County Attorney. For links to Legal Resources please click here.